I wanted to title today’s post as “Because there are already 184,750,172,902 mint chocolate cupcakes out there on the Internet, so why not add another recipe to the mix”, but that title seemed a little too lengthy, plus I figured people would have a hard time remembering the name of it when I tell them about this wonderfully delicious and moist chocolate cupcake topped with some mint Oreo buttercream frosting.
So I settled with a concise, to-the-point title of “Mint Oreo Cupcakes”. Short and sweet, just like these cupcakes.
I’m typically not a fan of St. Patrick’s Day, because I’m not a fan of beer drinking, I’m not particularly fond of corned beef and cabbage, and I really don’t look good in green attire.
However, green = mint, which gives me an excuse to make all things mint chocolate. Like this mint chocolate fudge.
And these mint chocolate chip meringue cookies.
Oh, and have I mentioned my addiction to McDonald’s Shamrock Shakes? I don’t care what people say about them and how many calories and how many grams of sugar those things have, it’s the only thing I look forward to when St. Patrick’s Day starts rolling around the corner.
In celebration of the upcoming holiday, today I made you mint Oreo cupcakes – a light and fluffy chocolate cake studded with mint Oreo bits in every bite, topped with a mint Oreo buttercream with swirls of green for a festive look. It really is a mint-chocolate-lover’s perfect cupcake!
Now if you could excuse me, I’m going to go get myself a Shamrock Shake…
Shake in one hand, cupcake in the other, because that’s how everyone should celebrate St. Patty’s Day.
- 1 box Devil's Food cake mix
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 20-24 mint Oreos, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 3-4 cup powdered sugar
- Green food coloring
- 6-7 mint Oreo cookies, finely crushed and sifted to get rid of any large chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with liners and set aside.
- Sift the cake mix over a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, oil, buttermilk, sour cream, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth. Stir in the cake mix and mix until just combined. Gently fold in the chopped Oreos.
- Fill the cupcake liners ~3/4 fill and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before transferring them onto a wired cooling rack to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting: beat the butter and cream cheese over medium speed until smooth and fluffy. Add in the peppermint extract and heavy whipping cream. Slowly add in 3 cups of powdered sugar and beat until smooth. If the frosting is still too loose, add in 1/2 cup of powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Add in the green food coloring, one drop at a time, until the color is to your liking. Gently fold in your crushed Oreos* and pipe over cooled cupcakes with your favorite piping tip.
- *Make sure not to overmix the crushed Oreos, otherwise your frosting will turn into a sickly, unappetizing (yet still delicious) shade of gray.
© Simple Everyday Food. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or kindly link back to this post for the recipe.