1. I’m the perfect example that when it comes to food, it’s all about the packaging. I’ve never been a big fan of store brands (other than Archer Farms). I know what you’re thinking: they taste the same as name brands. Sometimes they even taste better. And they’re cheaper. Yeah yeah yeah. But to me, the packaging of food is just as important as the presentation of food on a dish. If the packaging isn’t pretty, I have no desire to even try it, even if it’s 20 cents cheaper.
Now, Target just recently launched their own healthy grocery brand, Simply Balanced. According to the Target website:
“…more than 40 percent of the assortment is organic. There are no products with hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils, high-fructose corn syrup, synthetic colors, artificial preservatives, artificial flavors or artificial sweeteners…. the majority of Simply Balanced items are made without genetically modified organisms (GMOs), and Target will eliminate all GMO ingredients from the line by the end of 2014.”
Sounds pretty good, huh? Not only are these products super delicious, the packaging is very appealing and eye-catching. A few weeks ago I bought a few boxes of their granola bars to try it out, and then the next time we went grocery shopping, this happened:
Haha… oops. I jokingly told Brian that they should sponsor my blog since we spent 1/3 of our total bill on their products :)
2. My partner-in-crime at school Samantha (hi Samantha!) told me a few days ago that Trader Joe’s has this Cookie Butter thing that’s supposedly really good. As I recall, her exact words were “oh don’t even start”. I’ve been hearing (and seeing) a lot about it lately and figured I should probably see what all the hype is about. Well, while I was waiting for my dinner to cook, I couldn’t resist and had a little spoonful of it. I think my exact words were “oh this is going to be bad“. There might be times this weekend that consist of me sitting on the couch with Cookie Butter and a spoon…..
I’m also currently obsessed with these too. I just finished a pint of the Mediterranean Mint and moved along to my next flavor (it’s amazing).
3. Ever since the last time we ended up picking dinner options out of a hat that were written on pieces of paper due to the lack of meal planning, I’ve decided that’s never going to happen again. I made a fancy table from Word and this week was our first week putting it into use. It worked out great!
4. Today Brian and I had a little lunch date at downtown Minneapolis – we decided to have our first ever food truck experience! I had the lobster tacos and Brian got the pulled chicken sandwich (he loved the barbeque sauce that went with it!).
5. Did you know Campbell’s is now coming out with CheeseburgerOs?!
I guess they’re coming out nationwide in August (that’s tomorrow!)… can I say “ew”? Are people just getting that lazy that they can’t even use two hands to eat a cheeseburger? Or maybe it’s a time-saving thing? I have never ever opened (or touched) a can of the original SpaghettiOs, and don’t think I’d be trying their newest product anytime soon either. Do you think you’d be trying it?
© Simple Everyday Food. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my images without prior permission.